Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Excuse me sir, I think you dropped your pocket...

Ok, so yesterday I was at home going thru my books, trying to figure out which ones I needed or should bring to my office....because everyone knows the more books one has on display, the more intelligent one looks. 

My goal in this endeavor is to appear intelligent. 
My dilemma....my choice in books.
I had everything from Religions of the World to How not to be an old lady to Rain Makes Applesauce to Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire. Then to top it all off, I had a small collection of random poetry books....What does one do with poetry books?!
So much for appearing intelligent!
So there I sat, on my floor, slightly discouraged...Trying to rethink. 
What's a girl to do in a situation like this?! 
The obvious solution hits me, maybe I should just bring the books I'm gunna use....ahhh...
I begin to go thru my books, separating them into "important" categories: youth ministry, spiritual growth, intimacy with God, Character studies, bibles, dictionaries, concordances, blah blah blah...I come to the end of my pile and I have 4 little books that have no home...Bad Girls of the Bible, Really Bad Girls of the Bible, Desperate Women of the Bible, and Criminals of the Bible. I couldn't help but giggle at myself. We do all these studies on all the great men and women of the Bible...David, Abraham, Esther, Ruth, Peter, Stephen, James, Mary, Paul, John....But you never hear of a study done on Jezebel, Cain, Delilah, Sapphira, Athaliah, Aquila....right? I get tickled, because we skim over these people. We think, "they were misbehaving, we don't have to talk about them." 
Au contraire 
2 Timothy 3 says that ALL scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that every man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 
Haha! So because Timothy says "all" that means that studying these biblical screw-ups is advantageous to us. The Bible villains are just as important as the Bible heroes!

Who would have thought that those stories were in the Bible for a reason :-)

0 comments: